Skip to main content

When in Rome: On Viewing Miranda July's The Future

By Inda Luciano

Watched the new Miranda July The Future last night at The Regal UA in Berkeley, CA, my current home and hometown of the filmmaker. Those that get the wackiness of her debut film Me and You and Everyone We Know won't be disappointed. Although her riot grrrl days are long gone and she now lives with her husband, the director of Beginners, in the plush hip Silver Lake area of Los Angeles, she hasn't lost her Berkeleyan depth, quirkiness, experimental tendencies, or nag for creating characters that exemplify what many might consider awkward human behavior.

In this article, July tells the NYT that one of the investors in the film, a German company, requested that a percentage of the actors be German. And they were not only German, but Nazi-looking German, and in very stereotypical emotionless roles. It made me wonder what the half-Jewish writer/director had in mind. Another thing that struck me was that she went all genesis on us by making the lead female character the weakest under pressure. I also noticed that in both of her mainstream films, although she expresses sympathy for the sensitive male main characters, she also points out the unfortunate social repercussions for this kind of men. At first I thought sympathizing for the male main character was a contradiction to her radical feminist history (although some feminist movements from her era were more about the idea of acting like men rather than just wanting the same basic human rights as them). But she also subtly comments on the weaknesses of both sexes when put under certain circumstances, and I get a feeling that she's trying to bring forth the idea that it's not a battle of the sexes but rather an identity crisis between new "kinds" of people, or cultural emerging species.

As a female, I understood Sophie's 35-year-old clock-ticking pressure to achieve professionally and as a woman. Yet emotionally, at the time, I could relate more to the character of Hamish Linklater in my nature of sticking to it no matter what; my yearning to stop time; my tendency to seek the help of higher powers; the higher expectations for my now; the loss of confidence gained by disappointing behavior from people I've trusted; and reaching points of self-appointed isolation, social paralysis, and depression.

Don't get me wrong, I've been through my experimental stages in between relationships, just not while in them. I dated a divorced guy with two children once, and although I was fulfilled in the caregiver role and loved playing house, the kids weren't my own, and what I've wanted the most in life is to have a family of my own. So by giving up in that situation I was also giving up on my deepest desires.

I assume that only a person that has gone through periods like that herself, or perhaps has someone close who has, could be so good at interpreting them. And yes, she might have found Joe selling a hair dryer on the Penny Saver, but most of us would've chuckled and read right past. It takes a certain level of evolved empathy to make these kinds of character choices.

They did take 30 days to "prioritize," and perhaps having more of a "normal" family situation was a priority for Sophie. I put normal in quotations because the guy that she had an affair with was very creepy to me. But he was a single dad, had the house in the valley, the successful business — it was an instant family situation.

Searching through my mental database of self-help literature, I kept thinking of the many ways Sophie and Jason could have solved their problems. The same way my ex-husband and I could have too. With the sign. Where is that darn ipod cable when you need it! Just kidding, movie inside joke. By building a solid ground in our own style before the weakest one of us gave up and made a mistake that was irreparable. In my life, the weakest was the male lead character. But in the length of a film, it was perhaps a way of showing the different stages in female/male development, each sex's natural desires, and how it hit a very specific kind of youth (the new 25s). I guess when Jason said he was "ready" to finally adopt the cat at 35, Sophie was biologically wired for something more meaningful than that. Except that neither of them knew, or seemed to have put much thought into, how to go about making the necessary changes in their lives so that they could achieve social expectations, or more importantly, meet their biological needs.

THE FUTURE. Humans dealing with the same human issues but with more toys to distract us. Couples laying in couches facing each other but paying attention to laptops, memes, Youtube videos, social media accounts. But while losing communication/connection with each other, still made up of the same particles and with the same basic needs.

I can already imagine the raving criticism this film is going to have. I mean, you get to see July's booty (and something that's about to happen to it). But going by the soundtrack and the little subtleties that are heart-melting and funny to me, yet I know are totally unperceivable to most, I feel the movie is going to do ok, but just amidst a very unique kind of audience.

Popular posts from this blog

Sustainable Artists Showcase: Michael C. McMillen

Michael C. McMillen is a mixed-media artist based in Santa Monica, California, whose installations and sculptures made out of recyclable materials, or as he calls them "the cast-offs of our material society," play around the themes of time, change, and illusion as a means to create what he refers to as "visual spiritual poetry." It's very interesting work with a magic of its own. The two friends I've brought with me to view his work have referred to his pieces as post-apocalyptic. I see it more as a beautiful display of decay. They had a similar eerie effect on me as when I visited a ghost town of the Gold Rush era, here in California, for the first time. Like a glimpse at the ancient ruins of the future. To fully appreciate his installations you really must experience them. You can view his work in person at an upcoming exhibit at the Oakland Museum of California from April 16, 2011 to August 14, 2011, entitled Train of Thought .

How To Hike Safely

I started taking my love for hiking seriously about 17 years ago, while living a few blocks from Tilden Regional Park in Berkeley, CA. Tilden was a dream hiking and biking training ground. But when I first started hiking some of the most beautiful trails of the Bay Area of California, I found myself unprepared and scared in the middle of some remote hikes. Whether running out of water, running out of energy without a snack to pick me up, getting devoured by insects, getting painfully sunburnt, blistering my feet... you name it, I've experienced it all. Now that I know how to prepare, I enjoy my hikes a lot more.  All these years exploring nature trails in the western and now eastern Unite States, as well as in places where I've traveled to, earned me a wealth of experience that I now can share with beginner nature explorers. Here is a list that I compiled of what I consider the basic most important things to know to keep you safe and make your hikes more enjoyable.   1. Pick T

Designing Flower Arrangements

I'm so inspired by all I learned about beautiful flowers and flower arrangement by completing the Heartfelt Floristry:  Fundamentals of Floral Design workshop with "La Musa de las Flores" Gabriela Salazar. "Flowers are not just beautiful to arrange, but working with them teaches you how to be patient, kind, resilient, and graceful -  offering immeasurable life lessons."   ~ Gabriela Salazar In the workshop I learned everything: choosing flowers and the right vessels, processing and taking care of flowers, and how to create different floral compositions. Find my workshop notes below, in case it may inspire you to design with flowers too. I. SELECTING A VESSEL Consider: Color Texture Size Material Think about the shape, size, and where the arrangement is going to be placed: entrance, dining room, living room, event... Neutral Vessels - are vessels that work well with any flower. Gabriela arranging flowers with a neutral vessel. Vessels with Personality - are ve

Permaculture Design

Are you interested in learning how to lead a more sustainable lifestyle? Are you interested in learning about the sustainable design of organic edible gardens or landscapes? Are you curious about natural building methods and sustainable development systems? Do you want inspiration for a life-changing way of thinking? I've been loving learning about permaculture and permaculture design throughout the years! Permaculture education is positively life-changing and could also be career inspiring. You can incorporate permaculture principles to your lifestyle, or start making the sustainable landscaping and building design projects of your dreams!  Gain knowledge and skills with  this free e-course! Free Foundational Permaculture Classes from Oregon State University Ecampus.  CLICK HERE TO START YOUR PERMACULTURE JOURNEY

Places To Go With Your Pooch

As most poodle and poodle mixes, my Maltipoo pooch is very smart, playful, and has a lot of energy. So I've had to get creative finding new places and experiences to share with him. Here's a list of some of my pooch's favorite spots: 1. Woodland Sunny loves to go on hikes in the woodlands and the creek around where we live. He loves to watch (sometimes chase) beautiful wild creatures like bunnies, squirrels, and deer.  Rainy days don't stop us from going outdoors and smelling the flowers. The right gear, such as a good raincoat, will protect your dog from getting drenched on rainy days. Make sure that you s afeguard your dog with anti tick, flea, and worms medicine and vaccinations to protect it from wild factors that indoor domestic pets may not be immuned to.  2. Waterside Walkways and Hikes Sunny loves any body of water: beach, lake, river, creek... especially if it has other living creatures to look at.  This is his favorite local hiking spot in Lake Michael Park.

Forest Bathing &
The Healthy Glow

The glow is real! I always feel so good after a hike, bike, even a simple walk in the forest. I return home a new person, relieved and restored. Even glowing! Immersing in the forest not only has a great effect on your wellbeing, it also contributes to having a youthful healthy radiant appearance. And there is a name for this scientifically proven natural therapy—forest bathing.  While many cultures have long recognized the health benefits of spending time in nature, it was the Japanese who first gave a name to the experience of mindfully communing with nature. The term shinrin-yoku (“forest bathing” or “taking in the forest atmosphere”) emerged in Japan in the 1980s to refer to a physiological and psychological ecotherapy that offers an antidote to tech-boom burnout while inspiring people to reconnect with and protect forests. The idea of forest bathing is to be free from distractions and not have a set agenda other than enjoying, soaking up, and experiencing nature as you spend time

Ursula Barnes

Cat and a Ball on a Waterfall , oil on canvas board Found this piece by Ursula Barnes in the Self Taught section of the Gallery of California Art at the Oakland Museum. I'm in love with her style. It would look really good in a wall I started at my house of found art. So far I have two pieces with wooden frames that I found earlier this year that are going to be the center of the wall. I wish I would've spotted this at the Alameda Market instead of the museum. But that makes me really excited to go to the market at the end of the month to see if I can find more silly treasures to add to my wall, which I finally got around to decorate after three months of living in my new abode in downtown Berkeley. I'll only be here for another year, so that gives me the freedom to experiment and make a temporary exhibit of the silly stuff I've found in the bay.




BIO     CV     PORTFOLIO     CONTACT
Blog styling by Identity Native Design Agency